Skip to main content

I have no excuse, I was very depressed when I wrote this

I'm bleeding on the dance floor
But the band keeps playing on
And the dancers keep on twirling
As their shoe soles turn crimson

My blood type's AB positive            
And I'm positively sure                        
I wish the only blood that's spilling 
Would be mine across this floor

My eyes drift close, I'm failing          
The band's melody begins to waver
And the dancers dance more slowly   
To this new melancholy flavour

My lady beckons me closer               
My cheek rests on the sticky floor   
She's finally come to collect me         
And set me free from this life's chore

Yet my heart does not feel joyous   
Only sorrow has made it crack    
Though all awaits me is more pain     
I'll give anything to go back

This is how this chapter ends
But there’s still more here to write
I’ll pick myself up off this floor   
This novel won’t end tonight


I'm bleeding on the dance floor
And the band keeps playing on
But I'm twirling with the dancers
For now just managing to hold on

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I wrote this particular poem for uni, and it won best poem at an open mic night, but what do I know

When light is cold and warmth is cruel Steel is home and blue is feeling And there is no relief for those crying Not for hedonists nor for those kneeling No way to stop this hopeless feeling Clockwork workers, silently bleeding Day in, day out and never ending Always wanting but never needing Clockwork people in plastic cities Don't tell the truth of how they're feeling They lie and cry and keep on going And know they have no chance of healing 

Family get-together (and getaway as quickly as possible)

It's the family Christmas party And everyone's gathered around A chance to praise the family smarties The rest go drink another round My great aunt's still talking, droning on Showing no signs of wearying or dropping The babies start screaming, one by one Shushed by mums, but not completely stopping Eyeing up games, not monopoly, we're not mad Even my Nana's sneaked out back for a fag The food's been scoffed, mostly by my dad We've been here an hour, it feels like a drag At last I remember, as I'm on my umpteenth beer This is why we go through this just the once a year